As part of my promotion of reading and writing I started The B Collection, a subsection of The B Movement. Basically it is a collection of written works that speak to my personal life, this includes poems, short stories, letters, quotes. etc. The first publication of the collection is called “Mending a Broken Heart” and speaks about when I went on a journey, falling in love with myself again after going through a rather complicated relationship. The idea is that after I have released a publication I will host a series of discussions linked to the theme of the book. On Saturday 25th February I saw my first discussion come to life.
The topic of this discussion was The Other Woman and we had power author Cheryl Ndoro read a chapter of her upcoming book to the attending Movement Members; following which we opened the floor up to participation. The discussion was not just around her book and her experience but rather a discussion around people’s experiences, perspectives and queries. As time went on the space grew safer and as a result people grew more open and honest. We spoke about financial leverage, time management, “the rules of being a side chick” among many other things and in the two hour discussion debates occurred, collaborative answering of questions occurred but most importantly silent moments of reflection occurred and I thought I would share my top 5 “take-aways” with all of you:
- “Why do you carry a bag that is not yours.”– meaning do not carry around someones baggage. Sometimes the cheating, lies and deceit has nothing to do with you so just keep moving
- “This was my situation then; this is not who I am now.“
- “I didn’t want to react to the lady because she was trouble in my past. There was no need for me to bring her into my present.”
- “You cannot tell someone what to do so rather work on yourself and watch the world around you change“
- “Do what is right for you because if you are always looking out for other people, who are looking out for themselves, no-one will be looking out for you.”